December 3, 2013
Welcome & MC: Doug Young, Doug Young Studios, Taylors Mill
Purpose of Meeting: Taylors TownSquare is a place for relationships to be made, to learn from and be inspired by others, and to find common goals for the Taylors community.
Agenda Items: Scott Park from Greenville County Planning Commission spoke about Clemson University’s Design Studios analysis of the Taylors area along with additional information about the Taylors Community Plan.
Clemson’s Final Presentation Documents
- Greenville County Planning held Taylors community meetings beginning in August to discuss what Taylors residents wanted to see happen.
- The topics brought up by Taylors residents that they felt were important to address were Greenways, Main Street Taylors, Wade Hampton, and the Taylors.
- Clemson’s proposals aimed to bring cohesiveness to the topics discussed.
- Connecting Wade Hampton to Main Street
- Connecting Mill Street to Main Street
- Clemson’s proposals are the end of their role in the planning process; Greenville County Planning will take over from here.
Greenways & Transportation
- Enoree River – potential for a trail to connect Chick Springs to Mill to Corey Burns Park
- The Mill is an attraction
- Having a trail would make it a destination place
Main Street Taylors
- Ideas presented included commercial store fronts with parking in rear providing a downtown center.
- Play on existing structures
- Flank Mill street
- Include high density residential on Main Street with store fronts/retail/restaurants
- Update Main Street entrances – first impression of Taylors
- Connecting Main Street to neighborhoods is crucial
- Looking at transit oriented design for the future (buses, rapid buses)
- Wade Hampton is important as it goes right by Taylors (luckily not through Taylors anymore)
- Thoroughfare from Greenville to Greer to Spartanburg (and everywhere in between)
- Farmers Market/attractions
- Lots of potential!
- Where does money for projects like these come from?
- Sponsors (ex. GHS Swamp Rabbit Trail), Grants
- Funding will follow once the plan is in place
- How do developers choose to develop certain areas over others?
- They see activity; things are happening.
- Generally all it takes is a plan and developers will take it from there.
What you can do:
Join an Advisory Group!
The next step in the planning process is to begin to focus on specific topics and prioritize your goals. To help hone our discussion, five advisory groups would cover the majority of the comments received from the initial community meetings and online survey:
- Main Street Taylors
- Wade Hampton Corridor
- Urban farms and gardens
- Taylors Greenways & Transportation (excluding Wade Hampton and Main St)
- Taylors Mill
Contact Scott Park with the group(s) you would like to join. He will then email specific information for your group’s next meeting. Due to the holidays, groups will have their next meetings in mid-January.
Next Taylors TownSquare Meeting
Wednesday, January 8
12 pm – 1 pm Taylors FBC Ministry Center (Old Post Office)
New Facebook Group!
Visit http://taylorstownsquare.com/facebook to get strait to it!
Other Upcoming Community Events
First Fridays at the Taylors Mill http://www.firstfridaysonline.com/
Friday, December 6, 6-9 pm
Taylors FBC Light Has Come Christmas Celebration http://taylorsfbc.org/christmas.aspx
Friday, December 6, 7:30 pm
Saturday, December 7, 7:30 pm
Sunday, December 8, 2:00 pm
Complimentary tickets available in the Church Office